The 4th VERTIGO Workshop will be held from Sunday 21st through Friday 26th May 2017 at the Hotel “Pedras do Mar” in Fenais da Luz on São Miguel island (Azores, Portugal).
This workshop’s topic is “The lifecycle of volcanic ash” or “Everything you always wanted to know about ash but were afraid to ask.” The scientific programme (3 days in total) will be complemented by a 2-days workshop (Sunday and Monday) on grant proposal writing (mandatory for all VERTIGO ESRs and external students) as well as by one field day (including a visit to the CIVISA monitoring room, sites of active degassing and outcrops concerning volcanic soil formation).
The workshop is open to external PhD and PostDoc students, please apply to us by sending an email with your CV and a letter of interest. The number of participants is limited for logistic reasons and will be handled on a "first-come, first-serve" basis. Participants registering for the entire week will have priority.
Confirmed keynote speakers (as of 10 February 2017):
- Peter Baxter (Department of Public Health and Primary Care, University of Cambridge, UK)
- Rita Carmo (Inst. de Investigação em Vulcanologia e Avaliação de Riscos, Ponta Delgada, Azores, PT)
- Jon Castro (Johannes Gutenberg Universität Mainz (JGU), Germany)
- Paul Cole (University of Plymouth, UK)
- Pierre Delmelle (Université catholique de Louvain (UCL), Belgium)
- Arnau Folch (Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC), Spain)
- Damien Gaudin (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich, Germany)
- Larry Mastin (U.S. Geological Survey)
- Jeremy Phillips (STREVA Project, UK)
- Barbara Rothen-Rutishauser (Université de Fribourg (FRI), Switzerland)
- Dave Schneider (Alaska Volcano Observatory, Anchorage, USA)
- Steve Self
- Tom Sheldrake (Universitè de Genève, Switzerland)
- Fatima Viveiros (Inst. de Investigação em Vulcanologia e Avaliação de Riscos, Ponta Delgada, Azores, PT)